Tuesday 13 October 2015

Slow down.

Image result for life speeding by
Google images
 
I have noticed over the past few of weeks that my life seems to be speeding by in a bit of a blur. Suddenly its October! The thing that really brought this speeding along home to me was a realisation that I was bolting my food; I would start to eat, clear my plate, look up and see that everyone else was still eating.  This made me stop and think - what else have I been doing at breakneck speed?  I seem to be trying to fit a lot in.  Like everyone else who works part time, you have to fit the domestic and pleasure bits in when you are not at work and this seems to be causing me some problems of late.

Image result for life speeding by
Google Images
 
 
So on Saturday I decided to have a slow day, when I woke up I asked the Engineer if he would mind bringing me up a cup of tea in bed: in over 20 years of marriage this is only the third or fourth time I have asked.  He said of course and brought me up a steaming cuppa and I read the latest Louise Penny book whilst sipping my tea.  Once I came down for breakfast I made sure I ate it slowly, then I had a slow shower - usually I am in and out, so it felt quite luxurious.
 
I had to do the shopping so off I went with a comprehensive list and I wandered rather than ran down the aisles.  I even stopped for a cup of tea in the coffee shop and read some more of my book. 
 
 
I took the rest of the day slowly too; I still put on the washing and put a nice bit of brisket in the slow cooker but I did everything a bit more mindfully.  It was relaxing and everything still got done.  I have nearly finished my pepper in colour pencil; amazingly coloured pencil work is something that hasn’t speeded up.  Its still relaxing and sometimes it feels like everything is in slow motion, except when I look at the clock and see how long I have been at it and my neck and back are starting to complain.

Copyright Su+2
Life can be stressful sometimes, that's just the way it is, but I seem to add to my own stress by trying to do everything too fast and taking responsibility for things that I should let go of.  So lets see if from now on I can slow down, enjoy life a bit more and let go when I need to.  Oh, and do more colour pencil work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment