Sunday 16 July 2017

West Dean gardens

Last week the Engineer and I were lucky enough to have a day off work together.  We have lived in this area of Hampshire for over 20 years and had never been to West Dean Gardens. 

What a beautiful day: the weather was hot but we had on our hats and sun cream so we were ok.  But, oh dear, I forgot the camera so all the photos were taken on my phone, hence the poor quality.  Anyway here they are:  We went into the walled garden which was beautifully set out; I love walled gardens so I loved it.  I especially liked the hedgehog hole in the door.
This is an apple tree grown around a frame to make a square shape.
 


 
The colour was much more intense than the photo shows.

There was a lovely pergola covered in flowers.




We had a really nice lunch in the West Dean tea rooms; I had a quinoa and roasted beetroot salad (there should have been hallomi too but I am trying to be vegan so I asked for no cheese).

There was a beautiful kitchen garden and I am a sucker for them (and allotments) - even the Engineer liked this one as all the rows were dead straight with even the labels neatly lined up.  Sorry there are no photos of that.

All in all it was a really nice day and as it was a weekday it was quieter than it could have been at the weekend.

From my own little garden I have finally harvested a whole tomato!  I had to be very careful to not show the dog, Jack, what I was doing as he would only go off and chew the rest of them. 

Me! chew anything, never!
I am going to a botanical art workshop next weekend: its titled Fragrant Roses and it will be an intense three days of drawing in a lovely setting.    I will try and document my progress for you.  I haven't done any drawing in a while as life gets very busy at times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment