Sunday 2 July 2017

Work in progress

I said in my last post that I was going to share some of my work in progress with you. 
The newly formed Association of British Botanical Artists are putting together an exhibition of artworks of native British plants.  All the details are here.

I am attempting to do an Aquilegia Vulgaris in coloured pencil.  Below are some photos of my work so far.

sketches in graphite
I was able to access a microscope so I could take some brilliant close-ups of the plant.  I took a flower apart to see how it all fitted together.

 I sketched some petals etc. but I wanted to show the seed head too; it is a very interesting and lovely flower:
I did a line drawing of the seed head and then traced it and transferred the image so I could do a sketch in graphite giving me a good idea of form.
Transfer from the tracing
Graphite sketch
I then started to put my colours together. I choose each single colour and then start mixing, taking a note of what the mixtures are, just like in watercolour I suppose.
Page from my sketch book
I then started to do a colour sketch of the seed head.
Beginning to add form

Not a good photo I'm afraid
Another tiny seed head
On the plant was a lovely tiny seed head with two petals still attached. 

I am going to try and show the full life cycle of the plant so I will need to show seed heads as they are formed. 

I am continuing to sketch and put things together.  I am trying to do things properly and get my colours sorted before I begin the actual drawing composition. I find this preparation and planning quite difficult as I always want to jump straight in and start the bit I love doing the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment