Saturday 12 September 2015

SAD, colouring and watercolours

A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and purchased a light to try and help deal with my Seasonally Affective Disorder.  It is not something I have ever really tackled before: I have just accepted that during the dark winter months I will get more down than usual. 
http://www.sad.org.uk/
But this summer I was hoping to come off the small dose of anti-depressants that I take.  Unfortunately this year has been particularly difficult for our family and I thought it wise to stay on the tablets for the time being.  So to combat winter (I don’t mind the cold, I just hate the dark and the rain) and on advice from a counsellor, I have started using the light for about half an hour a day from the 1st of September. 
 
I tried to do some art during this time but the light is SO bright that it’s impossible so I have acquired an adult colouring book and I do that for half an hour.  It is brilliant (excuse the pun): I use pencils (cheap ones, not my best ones) and carefully colour each amazing design.  I use the same technique which I use for my colour pencil art work and I add shading etc.  It’s very soothing and quite addictive.
 
There are some positives to winter that I try and remember:
Snuggling down on the sofa next to the lit wood burner with a good book and some chocolate. 
Thick stews (just for me as the Engineer and the Teen don’t like them).
Snow, as long as it doesn’t last too long and I can go out and play and then go back inside.
Wrapping up with hats, scarves and gloves to go out on a cold crisp day. 
The sense that nature is waiting and sleeping ready for spring and that winter won't last forever.
 
I went back to my Wednesday morning art class this week and was brave; I didn’t take my colour pencils but instead took watercolours.  I am very comfortable with colour pencils but watercolours scare me.  I decided to paint a red pepper and my lovely art tutor demonstrated how to do washes.  She made it look so easy, .... its not.  It’s basically learning to control a whole new medium, one that uses water!  So below is my very first attempt, I can see where I have used too much water, not enough water and basically got a bit scared. 
 
I will keep practicing though.  It is nice to use a paint brush, there is a nice feeling to seeing the paint appear on the paper and feeling the paper underneath your brush.  I also didn't have very long to do this so its only about half an hours work, I will add some more to it later on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment