Sunday 8 November 2015

Remembering.

Today was another damp and grey day, but very mild.  I am glad it didn't rain this morning as the Teen was taking part in the Remembrance Day parade as part of the Girl Guides.  For two minutes around the local war memorial people of all ages were silent, some remembering friends and loved ones and some thinking about what they had seen on the news or learnt in history lessons.  But hopefully everyone was thinking of the same thing at the same time.  I thought of my dad for whom remembrance Sunday was very important; he saw active service in Korea and lost friends.  He never talked about his experiences but they helped to shape who he was.  He was a large gentle man who loved his family and friends and would help anyone who needed it.  His faith remained very strong throughout his life and he always said it was the prayers of his father that helped sustain him when he was fighting.
Picture from Wikipedia
In the garden at home it is so mild at the moment that I have flowers on my broad beans (in November) as well as some very persistent slugs that have taken a liking to my broccoli.
Broad beans

Indoors, I have finished the scarf I have been crocheting.  It has turned out well and it's warm but light and I have enjoyed the rhythm of making it.
One of the few times we've lit the fire recently
Ta-da!
I'm not sure what my next crochet project will be, maybe another scarf but in a silk or cotton yarn, as although this wool is soft, its still a bit scratchy next to the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment